Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mom's Visit - London, Munich and Paris

After months of hinting, asking and downright nagging, my mom finally agreed to come visit me in London. My mom had never been to Europe before, so she was really excited to see the old city architecture, houses and traditions of the land. I was honestly ecstatic to see her. No one has been able to make it to visit me so far since I've been here, so I was really glad that she could come.

Here are some tips in case you dare to make a visit

1. Bring your own maps and learn how to navigate before your come: I will warn any of you who may dare to make the visit, I am a terrible orienteerer as witnessed by my poor mom who was drug onto busses going in the wrong direction, tubes stations that didn't seem to have exits, the wrong terminals in airports, down streets that probably should end up at the boat port etc etc. And you must remember, that I don't really know where things are on a map. I just look at the bus sign and it says it's going to the airport, I don't question it, I just assume it's going to the airport be that north south east or west...I hope the driver knows where he's going.

2. Bring your walking shoes: Mostly due to my poor navigation skills. Be prepared to walk around in circles for miles everyday. Up and down stairs, in alleyways, through parks, through tube stations etc. My mom and I must have walked a good 1-2 miles on our slow days and up to 8 on our tiring ones.

3. Bring your own food: In case you didn't already know. I've become vegetarian, and while to most people that would mean that I would have fresh veggies and food choices galore...beware, I have a shockingly small amount of food to choose from. So if you prefer something outside the realm of eggs, pita bread, peanut butter and feta cheese, please bring your own food, or just tell me what you like and I'll get it for you. :) I really do want you to visit

4. Read your history of the region: I am good at a lot of things and really enjoy London as a city. But one thing I would put on my needs improvement list is knowing history. Sadly when we walk down the streets, I will likely be unable to identify the architectural style, who built it, who lived in it or even the name of the building. So if you're interested in History, bring a book or go on a tour. By the way, we went on a walking tour (see tip 2) of London and Paris and they had amazing tour guides that helped us through that part.

5. Bring some sleeping pills: I live in a happening section of town...I like to call it little Arabia, with little shops on every corner. I love it, but it is noisy at night and my bed isn't the most comfortable, so a few tylenol pm or something of the sort, will probably do you wonders. Not to mention the jet lag.

Mom, I love you! Thanks for coming to visit me! And everyone else, please come and visit me, I'll make your visit memorable if nothing else :)

1 comment:

  1. You should write about what you did while mom was there. Especially interested in hearing about your time in Germany.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete