Thursday, August 12, 2010

St Botolph-without-Bishopsgate

After speaking with my youngest sister Michele last night about my struggles with religion and faith, I decided to finally check out the church service at St. Botolph-without Bishopsgate today. It is a historic church which originally housed one of the historic gates of London. It's a beautiful albeit small chuch right across the street from my work with a gorgeous garden that I often sit eat lunch in and read a book.

It was a 12:10 service which is described as "a service of words and silence." It lasted about 15 minutes. The priest came out, prayed did some litergy, prayed some more, served communion and the service was over.

It was strange being in such an old beautiful place with 5 others in the pews (all older men) and the priest in front as I stuggled to make out the strong British accent of the priest. I followed respectully sitting down and standing up in unison with the other church goers, but I stayed back while the others took communion. In the end the priest gave me a friendly handshake.

There is something about the sanctitude of the place, the smells of the old wood and cold walls. The colorful stain glass windows with pictures of the christ child that always gives me the willies when I go into any old house of worship. I'm not sure I got much out of that service, but maybe I'll try the one next wednesday that is characterized as "a service with song and preaching."

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that you are exploring religion even though the first attempt wasn't what you had probably hoped for. I'd love to hear about more experiences as they come.

    ReplyDelete